Metal and Clear Braces
As a teenager, you may benefit from either metal or clear braces. Many teens have questions about the experience of wearing braces. In addition, parents are often concerned about certain issues too, such as the cost of braces. Below are answers to some of the questions about braces we hear most frequently.
How long will I wear braces?
Every patient is different. The amount of time you will need to wear braces will depend on the severity of your alignment issues, the progress you make during treatment, and other factors. Most patients wear braces for one to two years. We will discuss the anticipated length of your treatment process before we apply your braces. We will also update you periodically during the process so you know what to expect.
What foods will I have to avoid when getting braces?
While you are wearing your braces, you will need to make some dietary changes to avoid breaking your braces or causing other problems. Some of the foods you will need to avoid while your braces are in place include:
- Sticky or chewy foods, such as taffy
- Foods with a lot of sugar, such as candy
- Hard foods, such as nuts
How do I care for my teeth while wearing braces?
While wearing braces, taking good care of your teeth is essential to ensure that you get the best possible results. It is important to brush your teeth at least twice a day, just as you did before you had braces. In addition, you should floss once each day. Remember to keep up with your check-ups and cleanings, which should be scheduled once every six months with your general dentist.
How do I protect my mouth when playing sports with braces?
You can continue to play sports while wearing braces. However, we strongly recommend wearing a mouth guard for protection. A mouthguard should also be worn when engaging in any other activity that could result in a fall or any impact on your mouth.
How much do braces cost?
The cost of braces will vary based on different factors. Factors that will affect the cost of your braces include the type of braces you choose, the severity of your alignment problems, the length of treatment required, and your insurance coverage. Before beginning the treatment process, we will discuss these issues in detail and provide an estimate of all anticipated expenses. We will also verify any insurance coverage so you know what to expect.
Benefits of Braces
Braces offer many benefits to teens. Some of the primary benefits of wearing braces include:
- Resolving alignment issues – If you have problems with the alignment of your teeth, you may experience complications later in life, such as overcrowding. Wearing braces during your teen years can help you to avoid these complications.
- Better smile – One of the most notable benefits of wearing braces is the improvement in your smile. The teenage years are difficult enough on their own. With a more appealing smile, you will enjoy higher self-esteem and improved confidence even as you navigate adolescence.
- Better oral hygiene – Having straighter teeth improves the effectiveness of your brushing and flossing, helping you keep your teeth cleaner. This can reduce the likelihood of cavities, gum disease, and other issues.
- Improved chewing – If your alignment issues were making it difficult for you to chew effectively, wearing braces will solve this problem and improve your chewing ability.
If you are a teenager who is interested in getting braces, or if you are a parent of a teenager who may need braces, our office is here to help. We will be happy to perform an exam and determine whether braces are recommended. In addition, we will discuss all of your options so you can make the best choice. If you choose to move forward with braces, we will provide you with a detailed estimate of your expenses and anticipated treatment time so you know exactly what to expect every step of the way.
Please contact Power & Pryse Orthodontics today to schedule an appointment for a free braces consultation or to learn more about getting braces.